Yangon (Thomas) – Myanmar leader Aung San Suu Kyi, who is running for re-election, canceled her inaugural campaign on Monday when the COVID-19 outbreak worsened at home.
Myanmar reported 100 new positive cases of COVID-19 on Sunday (9/6), the highest number since the discovery of the first patient in March 2020. Meanwhile, today, the government has found 45 new cases of COVID-19 in just 24 hours.
Suu Kyi, who currently serves as an Advisor / Counselor of State, is due to campaign on Tuesday (9/8) to meet in person with his constituents in Yangon, one of Myanmar’s shopping centers.
Local officials set the first day of the campaign, Tuesday, while the elections are scheduled for 8 November.
However, in a social media post on Facebook, Suu Kyi said the health minister recommended that she cancel her campaign plans.
Suu Kyi said the health minister was the most powerful person during the pandemic, so everyone was forced to obey the ministry’s instructions.
Spokesmen for the National League for Democracy, the party currently governing Myanmar, have yet to answer questions on the matter.
Myanmar was temporarily free from local broadcasting for several weeks until mid-August. Local health officials at the time reported a new group of infections in Rakhine.
Since then, the number of positive patients has more than doubled to 1,464 people and eight of them have died.
A team member who worked for Suu Kyi at his home, Yangon, tested positive for COVID-19 last week. Suu Kyi on Monday said she was concerned about the news.
Several doctors said they feared the outbreak could worsen due to a lack of health facilities, which were neglected for a long time when Myanmar was controlled by the military junta.
Read also: Aung San Suu Kyi declared to participate in the election for a second term
Read also: The International Court of Justice will issue a decision on Myanmar
Read also: Suu Kyi rejects accusations of genocide against Rohingya
Translator: Genta Tenri Mawangi
Publisher: Atman Ahdiat
COPYRIGHT © BETWEEN 2020